MUTA is the UK’s only trade association dedicated to marquees, tents and structures. For over 100 years MUTA has represented its members and raised standards in the industry.
The eight founding members all traded in textiles, either as importers or as the end product manufacturers. They were involved in everything from recycling and manufacturing of jute bags, to making tarpaulins, loin cloths, and waterproof goods for the London horse-drawn carriages. Tent and marquee hire featured too, including frame and pole tents.
In 1939 many tents were required for the war effort, never to be seen again. So after the Second World War new stocks had to be manufactured to get the agricultural shows up and running again.
MUTA was formed to help keep the industry together and to talk with one voice. Today, MUTA is actively involved in representing the industry within the British Standards Institute, CEN (European Committee of Standardisation) and the AGOTS committee of the Institute of Structural Engineers. Its work in these areas is benefited by all in the industry – members and non-members alike. Its vital work is what helps us shape our industry, rather than leaving us all on the receiving end of rules that others create.
Today, the majority of members are hirers of marquees, tents or structures.
We still represent a thriving group of suppliers as well and these find a ready market amongst the hirer members.
The Executive Committee is a small group of elected members that sets the strategy and direction for MUTA. All members of the Executive Committee are volunteers who give their time, commitment and energy for free.
The Executive Committee members for 2022/23 are:
– Dean Foster, Cambridge Marquees (President)
– Johnny Cooper, Coopers Marquees (Treasurer)
– Joe Baillie, Baillies Marquees
– Craig Bidder, Sami Tipi
– Lee Dalton, Roder UK
– Robert Carter, J&J Carter
– Janet Fletcher, Tents & Events (Scotland)
– Phil Grenville-Hunt, Mar-Key Group
The day-to-day running of the association is controlled by:
– Joe Chalk, General Manager
– Sam Reed, Membership Support Coordinator
– Tony Perfect, Compliance & Development Manager
In 2019, to celebrate MUTA’s 100-year anniversary, a Hall of Fame was created in recognition of those that have played a pivotal in MUTA’s development. Every other year MUTA requests nominations from members that have made an outstanding contribution to our industry.
MUTA’s Hall of Fame inductees are:
– John Carter, J&J Carter
– Peter Burgoyne, Burgoynes Marquees
– Jon Parr, Tentipi
– Tony Marsh, LH Woodhouse
– Adrian Dann, Danco
– Mike Bunting
– Clive Moss
– Simon Bell, Custom Covers
- To promote best practice in the industry for the benefit of the general public
- To consolidate MUTA’s position as the voice of the industry
- To facilitate networking and co-operation within the industry and its immediate constituency
- To be a source of information for members and the general public
- To promote members’ products, services and achievements
- To instigate the creation and implementation of appropriate standards and regulations
- To employ the collective buying power of our membership to secure advantageous terms